Sooner or later, you may face the need to develop a website for your business or the need to restyle and expand the functionality of your current website, and then comes one of the most common questions. The truth is the answer to this question varies depending on several factors. In this article, we’ll discuss the website development timeline and the project duration to give you an idea of how long it takes to create a website for your business.
Website development timeline
The website development timeline can vary depending on the complexity of the website, the number of pages, and the features that you want to include.
For example, a small website with a few pages may take less time to develop than a large website with multiple pages and features.
Typically, the website development timeline includes the following stages:
- Discovery and planning: During this stage, the web development team will work with you to understand your requirements, goals, and objectives for the website. This stage includes creating a sitemap, wireframes, and mockups.
- Design: Once the planning and research are completed, the web development team will move on to designing the website. This stage includes creating the visual design, selecting the right colours, fonts, and images. (have a look at our creativity services)
- Development: During this stage, the website’s functionality is built. The web development team will write the code, develop the database, and integrate third-party plugins and tools.
- Content creation and approval: Content creation is a crucial part of the website development process. During this stage, the web development team and the content team will work with you to create compelling and relevant content for your website. This includes text, images, videos, and other media that will help your website stand out and engage your audience.
- Testing and quality assurance: Before the website is launched, the web development team will test the website to ensure that it’s working correctly. This stage includes checking for bugs, errors, and usability issues.
- Launch and maintenance: Once the website is launched, it’s important to keep it up-to-date, secure, and maintained. This stage includes ongoing maintenance, security updates, and performance monitoring. Keeping your website up and running with all the patches and security updates applied is a very important task and must not be underestimated. For this reason, we at Carswell Gould offer our clients several different web support plans to cover this aspect.
Project duration and milestones
The project duration for website development can vary depending on the complexity of the website and the number of features that you want to include. Typically, a simple website with a few pages can take around 4-6 weeks to develop, while a more complex website with multiple pages and features can take 12-16 weeks or more. The project duration can also be affected by factors such as the availability of content, feedback and revisions, and communication with the web development team.
A rough timeline estimate and possible milestones could be represented by:
Step 1: Discovery and planning (1-2 Weeks)
- Define website objectives and goals
- Conduct competitor research and analysis
- Develop a sitemap and wireframes
- Finalise project scope and budget
Step 2: Design (2-4 Weeks)
- Create a design concept and style
- Develop a responsive layout and visual design
- Select the right colours, fonts, and images
Step 3: Development (4-10 Weeks)
- Write and test the code for the website’s functionality
- Develop the database architecture and integrate third-party tools and plugins
- Ensure the website is optimised for speed and performance
- Implement responsive design for mobile devices and various screen sizes
- Regularly communicate progress updates and seek feedback from the client
Step 4: Content creation and approval (2-4 Weeks)
- Develop website content, including text, images, and videos
- Optimise content for search engines (SEO)
- Receive client approval for all content
Step 5: Testing and quality assurance (1-2 Weeks)
- Conduct website testing for functionality, performance, and compatibility
- Identify and fix any issues or bugs
- Finalise website security and privacy settings
Step 6: Launch and post-launch (1-2 Weeks)
- Launch the website and monitor performance
- Conduct post-launch testing and optimisation
- Develop and implement a website maintenance plan
The right partner
Developing a website for a business or a charity is an important investment, and it’s important to have a clear understanding of the timeline and process involved. By taking the time to plan and understand the key factors that can impact website development timeline, you can set realistic expectations and ensure that your website is completed on time and within budget. It’s fundamental to work with an experienced web development agency that can provide an accurate estimate of the timeline and project duration based on your specific requirements.
Carswell Gould web agency can ensure that your website is developed in a timely manner and meets your business goals and objectives.
Create a stunning website that attracts and converts customers
With a marketing-led approach, we’ll work with you to create a website and app that not only looks beautiful, but also drives traffic, converts customers and communicates your brand effectively. Let’s bring your vision to life and create a website and app that exceeds your expectations. Fill out the form to get started.